New Brunswick - Frequently Asked Questions

What activities can count as my skill/physical recreation/community service?

There are a wide range of activities that can count towards each section of the Award. Please refer to the pages at the beginning of your record books for examples or check out these pdfs on what can count towards each section of the Award.

High School



Special Needs

Can my parent be my assessor?

Your parent cannot be your assessor. Your assessor must be a qualified individual within your activity. They must be a person who can verify you involvement in an activity and your progression over the course of your Award. For the Community Service section, your assessor should be the person at the organization where you volunteered the most hours.

How long do I have to complete each level in the Award?

You have until your 25th birthday to complete a level in your Award. The minimum time requirement to complete each level is as follows:

What is a major?

In the Bronze, Direct Silver, and Direct Gold Award, you must select a “major” (Community Service, Skill Development, Physical Recreation) where you will spend an additional amount of time.  For your Bronze level, if you choose your major as Community Service, a total a 6 months of Service must be performed instead of the typical 3 months for each of the other sections. For both the Direct Silver and Direct Gold Award, you must complete a major that is an extra 6 months compared to the usual time requirement of 6 and 12 months respectively.

What do I do when I've completed the Award?

You must mail in your Record Book, Expedition Guide and Award application form to our office at:

65 Brunswick Street, Suite 287 Fredericton, NB E3B 1G5

Award Application Forms:




When can I start counting activities for my next level?

You can start counting activities the date your previous level is complete. You will then need to register for the next level. Once registered, you can record any activities/hours you have completed since your previous level in your new Record Book.

Does the practice journey have to be overnight?

The Practice Journey for the Gold and Silver Award must be overnight. For the Bronze Award, no overnight is required.

How much time do I have to spend on each section of the Award?

You must spend at least 1 hour per week for the Skill, Physical Recreation, and Service sections of the Award.  For example, in Bronze,
if you choose to “major” in the Skill Development section of the Award, you must spend 6 months learning or improving on a Skill. To complete that section, you must spend at least one hour a week for 26 weeks (6 months). These weeks do not need to be consecutive. You work at your own pace.

Does each sections of the Award have to be done at the same time?

These sections may be completed simultaneously or one at a time. As a result, the total amount of time required to complete the Award will be slightly different for each participant.

Can I do more than one type of activity for my Physical Recreation?

Yes, you can do more than one type of activity for your physical recreation. When it comes time for the assessor to fill out the report in your Record Book, choose an assessor from the activity that you spent the most amount of time on for the Physical Recreation section of your Award. You can have multiple assessors signing off on your hours.

Can my Outdoors Pursuits trip count towards the Adventurous Journey section?

Since your Outdoors Pursuits trip would count as credit towards that course, you would not be able to count it towards your Adventurous Journey.  If you Outdoor Pursuits class organized an extra trip that did not count for school credit, then in that case it could count toward your Adventurous Journey as long as it meets the requirements of your level of the Award.

Do I have to wait until I am registered for the Gold Award to do my Residential project?

As long as you are 16 you may complete your Residential Project during any level of the Award. The following page must be completed for the Residential Project. This page is only included in the Gold Record Book. Keep this page and insert in your Gold Record Book when you receive it.

Residential Project Record Book