The Award was designed to be delivered through Award Centres using Award Leaders to guide participants and groups through the process alongside their peers. We recommend that you undertake your Award through an Award Centre for the most rewarding all-round Award experience. If there is no existing Award Centre in your community, we encourage you to approach your school principal or another community leader to get one started. Check out the Champion an Award Centre section of the Participant Resource Portal for information and resources to get started.Click here to be a champion
For those who don’t have access to an Award Centre, we have created Virtual Award Centres (VACs) to fulfil our Founder’s vision and ensure that young Canadians from all backgrounds and life circumstances have the opportunity to do the Award. If there are no Award Centres delivering the Award in your area and no appetite currently in place for establishing one, then the VACs may be an option for you.
VAC registrations are now open!
We are delighted to announce the re-opening of the Virtual Award Centre registrations! Please take a moment to review our VAC information below including fees, refund policy, bursaries, and updates.
Accessibility for all
The Award in Canada is proud to be a Service Organization / Payee of Canadian Tire’s Jumpstart Individual Child Grants! If you / your child is under the age of 18 and registering in the Virtual Award Centre, the application is available on their website. Please make sure to read eligibility, requirements, and details carefully before applying. You can also find additional information on their FAQ webpage.
Please click here for more information on additional bursaries and grant opportunities.
The Virtual Award Centre registration fees are:
- $250.00 for the Bronze level
- $350.00 for the Silver level
- $450.00 for the Gold level
The administrative fees are as follows:
- All refunds are subject to a $50.00 administrative fee to cover administrative and account costs.
- Should a participant cease to log activity and does not respond to their Award Leader’s attempt to reach out, the Award will be marked as inactive. Should the participant return to continue activity within 6 months of inactivation, a PayPal invoice will be sent for a $50.00 administration fee to reactivate the Online Record Book account and re-engage.
- Should a participant cease to log activity and does not respond to their Award Leader’s attempt to reach out, the Award will be marked as inactive. Should the participant return to continue activity after 6 months of inactivation, a PayPal invoice will be sent for a $100.00 administration fee to reactivate the Online Record Book account and re-engage.
The transfer fees are as follows:
- Should a participant choose to change their current level from Bronze to Silver, a PayPal invoice will be sent for the $100.00 difference in registration fees.
- Should a participant choose to change their current level from Silver to Gold, a PayPal invoice will be sent for the $100.00 difference in registration fees.
- Should a participant choose to change their current level from Bronze to Gold, a PayPal invoice will be sent for the $200.00 difference in registration fees.
There are no additional charges for the account changes. Please contact the Support Centre with your request to change levels
Transferring a current Award into the VACs:
Should a participant wish to transfer their existing ORB account, mid Award level, to the Virtual Award Centre, a $50 credit will be applied to the level specific Virtual Award Centre registration fee. Please contact the Support Centre with your request to the transfer.
Transfer reasons can include:
- Choosing to continue your Award in the VACs
- Leaving or aging out of your current Award Centre without another Award Centre to transfer to. For example, graduating from middle school to a feeder secondary school without an Award Centre or aging out of a uniformed group.
- Moving away from your Award Centre or moving to Canada from another country.
- Current Award Centre closing down.
Registration fees for the Virtual Award Centres and for individual events must be paid in full at time of enrolment.
If your registration for the Virtual Award Centre is accepted (registration approval date), Award Canada adheres to the standard 30-day refund policy, allowing for refunds within 30 days of an individual’s registration approval date. All refunds are subject to a $50.00 administration fee.
After 30-days from acceptance, registrations are non-refundable unless:
- The Online Record Book account is cancelled by administrators,
- If the young person cannot participate within a reasonable amount of time (more than 6 months) due to medical reasons, substantiated by a medical certificate, or extenuating circumstances.
In these two situations, the refund is still subject to a $50.00 administration fee.
If your registration is not accepted for any reason, a full refund will be given. Some examples of cancelled or unaccepted registrations are: participants outside of age requirements, incorrect level, duplicate registrations, etc.
There are no refunds for bursary or scholarship paid fees.
If you would like more information, or you have any questions, please see our FAQ’s below.
Virtual Award Centre FAQ's Register